Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Boot Camp - Finally!



The world works in funny ways sometimes. My husband is a haggler. He would have been a wealthy man in days gone by because he can work a deal and usually trades up very well. He’s been going to a boot camp for the past 10-weeks now. It was originally an 8-week class but he worked his magic and traded some equipment in exchange for a year membership. AWESOME! I love that he’s committed and that it didn’t cost us any thing more! Well, you know I’ve been wanting to do this boot camp since March. Some how the hubster talked the owners down in price for me to join an 8-week class. Fortunately it all fell on a time when I had just pulled some overtime and was really dreading running in the heat. (Don’t get me wrong—I love running. I just haven’t loved running in the heat this year.) So after a few glitches last week I have started my 8-weeks of boot camp as of yesterday! Whhhhooooo-hhhoooo!

I missed the first week of camp which I know is tough with fit testing and instruction and just general body busting. This week is kickboxing. This camp generally does every other week kickboxing. I’m a huge fan of kickboxing as a work out. I did it a few years ago (ok apparently 12yrs ago). So I introduce myself to the trainer on Monday and she comments that I wasn’t there last week (you totally see it in her eyes that this does not make her happy). She asks if I have my gear, “yes.” She asks if I’ve every kick boxed, “yes.” As we start stretching with our gear next to us she walks by and asked if I went to Eric Noland’s (local martial arts/kickboxing gym) and I say, “yup, how could you tell?” with a tone of knowing exactly how she knew. She replies, “The gear. I taught there for 9yrs.” This might explain why she seemed a little familiar. She probably was there when I was there. I haven’t officially asked her yet. And, that was the last I heard from her for the hour. I held my own for the first class. I remembered the moves and it was not “easy” but she didn’t through a ton of complicated combinations at us so I could at least remember what we were supposed to be doing. I felt really good about the work out and myself afterwards. We had to run for some of the in between times of rounds and it was nice. I was not out in front and I remember thinking “I’m a distance runner not a sprinter.” But it was good to have something to draw on (like marathon training) to know that I could dig deep and keep going.

Actually after class I had a wild thought that I felt good enough I could run a little bit. I really considered it. It must have been a little endorphin high, because by the time I drove home I was a little tired and started to wonder if an hour nap would help or hurt me.

Day two was similar. Good class. My knuckles were sore so I may not have been hitting the bag as hard but I was sweating my ass off and I know my muscles are working because they are sore and tight. Again though I had the thought that I could run a little after class. I knew I wouldn’t today (I had less than 4 hours of sleep thanks to my children) but I am going to keep it in mind that if the spirit moves me I may take myself up on the thought in the future. I suspect I will only have this feeling on kickboxing days. I fear circuit days may not leave me with as much spunk.

I’m happy to be in the class. This is a totally different work out than I’ve been doing for years. I’ve wanted strength and I’m sure this will help me get there. I plan on being as consistent with boot camp as possible (really only allowing for vacation trips out of town to keep me for going) and throwing in a few runs on the weekends. I think this will take me through the first week of September. It will still be hot then but hopefully not as hot as August. Then I will really get my half marathon training schedule in place. I have a good base now and this camp will only help enhance it.

I feel good. Sluggish from lack of sleep but good.

1 comment:

kim du bry said...

The bootcamp sounds like a nice shake up and change of pace. I'll look into one when I get back to SoCal next year. Thanks for posting this.