Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Running really is about more than just running

Again today I got up to run solely because I knew it would not be 90-degrees at 6am. In a few days it might just be that hot that early. Somehow I didn’t realize my alarm had gone off until 30 minutes after the fact so again I could have ditched out of the run. But, I decided in the end to get 3 miles under my belt and try to keep this running thing alive as long as possible before I get sucked into the oppression of the heat.

Of course, the moment you’re out there running you know you made the right decision. It’s beautiful and one less thing on my mind the rest of the day. I was surprised at how good I felt. I mean there was the rocky start of trying to find my groove but by the time I passed the park I was pretty happy with my pace and feel. The funny thing I noticed on the route this morning is that there seemed to be a lot of people out either running or walking. At one point I honestly started to feel like I was on a parade route! Saying Hi and waving to fellow morning movers. I found myself wandering to thoughts of Kristin Armstrong’s book Mile Markers and her thoughts on running and friends. As I headed into the last mile I see a runner stopping to stretch. It’s a friend I’ve known most of my life. Ok, really who she is is the cousin to my best friend since first grade. She lives in my neighborhood and her daughter is best friends with my current best friend’s daughter….. small world. I laughed and stopped and chatted with her for a few minutes. It was so funny to see her because I remember that she was a runner in high school. She looks just the same! Even in our few moments of conversation it was great to feel that connection as moms and runners and friends.

Stopping and chatting sort of threw off my groove a little but it was worth it. For a moment I felt like I was living in Armstrong’s book and it just reaffirmed for me that I’m doing what I love to do and I’m really not alone. Running serves so many purposes. Obviously health and fitness, but also friendship and space and mental well being. Some days I love to run alone. I love the time to work something out in my head or just be silent in my head. Other days it’s the only way I can talk to my friend with out a baby doing something dangerous or destructive demanding my attention. If I’m running I feel less guilty about taking time for myself and my friendships. I really never would have guessed I would have come to this place with running. I’m happy I did.

1 comment:

kim du bry said...

I know what you mean about the feeling less guilty. I see now that I am a better (happier, present) person (mother, wife, friend, etc.) after I come back from an early morning run. I'm appreciative to have arrived here too with running. It's a good thing!